Destin is a city in Okaloosa County, along the Gulf coast of the Florida Panhandle. It sits at the end of a peninsula separating Choctawhatchee Bay from the Gulf of Mexico. Destin is part of the Emerald Coast of Florida, an area famous for its emerald-colored waters and white sand beaches.
Destin Florida has grown from a historic fishing village to a premiere resort destination.
Destin is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. The crystal clear water and the sugar white sands have given the Emerald Coast area a reputation as one of America’s premier vacation destinations.
The beautiful waters of the Emerald Coast beaches provide sunbathers, snorkelers and fisherman with a paradise beyond words. Fishing off of the beach and jetties yields catches of Drum, Whiting, Pompano, Jacks and Mackerel, while snorkeling in the same locations yields views of beautiful tropical fish and great shell collecting.
The Emerald Coasts beaches are a place of sheer enjoyment and indulgence for people of all ages.
Destin Beach Florida, as title holder of “The Most Perfect Beach” and “The World’s Luckiest Fishing Village”, is the most popular destination on the Gulf coast.
Destin has won many awards for its perfect pristine white sand and beautiful clear emerald water and some say, ‘It just seems to get better every year’.
Gorgeous white sandy beaches to relax on and beautiful shells for the collector provide two activities on this breathtakingly beautiful beach.
Another big draw here is fishing where the cards are stacked in your favor.
Florida’s largest charter boat fleet is here with more than 140 vessels and experienced captains who know where the fish are waiting for your hooks.
Deep sea fishing, rare in most places, is popular at Destin Beach Florida because of rare water depths closer to shore than usual.
So, all of you experienced fishers or wannabes, come on down and catch your share of grouper, pompano, king mackerel and others. Have a restaurant cook them for you or have ’em packed to send home.
Destin Beach Florida and its neighbor to the east, Ft. Walton Beach, are part of the Emerald Coast and boasts 24 miles of beautiful, untouched beach that is protected from development to preserve the natural beach and wildlife communities.
After you enjoy a long walk along Destin’s soft sandy beach, make sure you check out as many of the restaurants and other attractions as you can.
Great activities to try and nearby attractions:
• One of the most notable Destin attractions, the US Air Force and Armament Museum, is a captivating experience for any war history enthusiast and is also of interest to children and families with over 25 real life aircraft on display.
• The Indian Temple Mound and Museum aka Miracle Strip Parkway is another pleasure filled attraction for history enthusiasts where you can learn about and see displays from over 10,000 years of history from four interesting Indian tribes.
• The Destin Bridge is located inside Air Force Base and allows visitors to enjoy a stroll through a natural wildlife preserve.
•Visit during May through August and get a glimpse of some bird species nesting.
•This is also one of the only areas you can see a large presence of bottlenose dolphins.
• Visit Henderson Beach State Park to experience one of Destin’s great beaches and wildlife preservation.
• A shopping lover’s oasis, Silver Sands Factory Stores contains a lot of high class and name brand stores for your shopping pleasure, such as DKNY and Coach.