Cedar Key Lighthouse
Characteristics: Fixed white light (originally).
Height: 33 feet, 35 steps
DayMark: White house-style structure with white lantern.
History: Constructed in 1854. First Lighted August 1, 1854. Deactivated in 1915. On National Register Listing.
Lens: Original: Fourth-order Fresnel lens; henry-LePaute (1854). Present: None. Focal Plane:75 feet.
Construction: Architect and Builder: Lt. George Gordon Meade. Masonry house-style structure constructed of brick and iron.
Other Buildings: Frame additions added to original brick structure, water tank, cistern, and oil storage house.
Visit Status: No Access
Visitor Info: Lighthouse is not accessible at this time. It is used as part of a Marine Laboratory by the University of Florida. The grounds and tower are open only during a two-day open house scheduled the third weekend in October. (In 2006 open house will be October 21, 22. Hours Sat. 9:30 – 5:00 and Sun. 8:30 – 4:00. Admission FREE, but tour boat will cost approx. $12.00.)
Lower Suwannee & Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge
16450 N.W. 31 Place
Chiefland, FL 32626