Key West Lighthouse

Key West Lighthouse

key-west-lighthouse

Active: No

Characteristics: Fixed, white light.

Height: 86 feet, 98 steps

DayMark: White-washed conical brick tower with a black lantern

History: Constructed 1847. First Lighted January 15, 1848. On National Register Listing. Deactivated: December 1, 1969. Restored in 1989-91.

Lens: Original: Thirteen Lewis patent lamps with 21-inch reflectors (1847-1858); Winslow Lewis 1847. Present: third-order fixed Fresnel lens (1859). Focal Plane: 91 feet (originally 67 feet).

Construction: Architect: Smith, Keeney and Hollowday Co. Builder: Duncan Cameron. Conical masonry tower constructed of brick, granite and iron.

Other Buildings: Keeper’s dwelling, privy, oil storage house, chicken coop.

Operated by: Key West Art & Historical Society

Visit Status: Open to Public

Days Open: Open daily

Facilities: Museum, Gift Shop, handicap accessible

Hours Open: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm

Visitor Info: Admission includes restored keeper’s dwelling with museum, and displays of several Fresnel lenses, including the first-order fixed lens from the Sombrero Reef Lighthouse.

Admission: $8.00

Contact:
Key West Art & Historical Society, Inc.
Lori Reid
938 Whitehead Street
Key West, FL 33040

Email: LReid@KWAHS.org
Website: www.KWAHS.com/lighthouse.htm

Read our review of the lighthouses on the Florida Vacation Plans Blog